Thursday, February 4, 2010

Genuine Friends

Was telling a friend how an ex's mom and brothers sometimes still write me - after so many years - or comment on my pictures on facebook, or drop me a message to say hi. My friend said,"they genuinely care about people whom they loved." 

That's very true.  They treat me as an individual separate from my ex, so even though we are no longer together, they still care about me as a friend.  They see me as who I am, not a part of someone - who "died" when the relationship ended.

This recent experience brought me closer to people who genuinely care about me.  I didn't intentionally victimize myself.  Just that given the circumstances of the painful breakup, my friends and brother knew how heartbreaking it was for me to bear.  They knew I wouldn't be able to cope on my own - not this time - and would need their help to get over it.  To those dear friends in Hong Kong, Toronto, Washington and Singapore who reached out to me - thank you for lifting me when I fell harder than ever.  Your support means the whole world to me.

In fact, my parents don't know about it yet.  I didn't tell my mom when I spoke to her last Sunday - I think I was on my way from airport to home so I didn't know what was about to happen.  My dad probably wouldn't know what to say.  My mom, who never forced me to do anything, would probably say,"oh, that's too bad.  Suen la, if it is not working now, better know now than after you get married..."

No comments:

Post a Comment