Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy 21!

Recently I got invited to a birthday party - a "happy 21st" party!  When thinking what to write on his facebook wall without sounding too much like a mom, I started thinking what I would have done more of / differently if I could start my life at 21 again.

1. Save more money.  Fewer visits to expensive restaurants unless a date is paying for the meal.  Fewer taxi rides (too late now, it's become a habit.). 
2. Better suncare routine to reduce sun damage.
3. Party just as hard but with different groups of friends to expand my network of friends.
4. Ditch dead-end relationships even faster, to make time for meeting the right person with more strategic planning.
5. Spend more time soul searching, discovering my untapped talents.
6. Spend more time with my mom.
7. Learn how to swim sooner (than 2007).
8. Be wiser about relationships.  Infatuation and falling in love are not the same as loving someone or being loved by someone.  Having said that, I do not regret the rare occasion when I fell madly and blindly in love, fully intoxicated and in bliss for months (before a series of heartbreaks).  Those were some of the happiest memories of my life and I would repeat the same mistake gladly - only to learn to let go with a calmer mind and heart when time is up.
9. Take more mandarin lessons and practise more.
10. Train myself early on to communicate at work more tactfully.  Learn and play the rules of the game more smartly.
11. Control my anger and frustration more carefully.  Learn to accept people's weirdness, dumbness, lack of logic.
12. Travel even more to see as much of the world as possible, before keeping a dog.
13. Try harder to work on the brief long-distance relationship I had.   

No comments:

Post a Comment